This course deals with the procedures to collect, analyze and evaluate spatial information for risk assessment from natural and human-induced hazards (such as geological hazard, hydro-meteorological hazards, environmental hazards and technological hazards). The course will guide you through the entire process of risk assessment, on the basis of a case study of a city exposed to multiple hazards, in a developing country (Risk City). Also a number of case studies are used from Europe (Italy, France), China, and Georgia.
- understand the concepts of hazard assessment, elements at risk mapping, vulnerability assessment, and risk assessment;
- formulate the spatial data requirements for risk assessment;
- generate an elements at risk data base using GIS;
- formulate the requirements of hazard data and methods;
- apply various methods for vulnerability assessment;
- generate risk maps using qualitative and quantitative methods;
- have insight in how a risk assessment could be carried out in your own situation.
- An introduction to disaster risk management and risk assessment
- Obtaining spatial data for risk assessment
- Presentation of data requirements for the various types of hazards. Sources of spatial data.
- Hazard Assessment
- Hazard types; Main concepts of hazard assessment; Frequency magnitude â relationships
- Types of vulnerability; social vulnerability; physical vulnerability; methods for vulnerability assessment; participatory GIS;
- Spatial Multi-Criteria Evaluation
- Risk assessment
- Risk management
- Risk evaluation; risk governance; risk communication; cost-benefit
- Using risk information for emergency planning; spatial
- Environmental Impact Assessment
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can have it delivered your preferred location.
For further inquiries, please contact us on the details below:
Tel: 254 (0) 739167709.
Office Location: Utumishi Co-op Hse, Mamlaka rd, Off Nyerere Rd, Nairobi