The course deals with the procedures to collect, analyze and evaluate spatial information for risk assessment from natural and human-induced hazards (such as geological hazard, hydro-meteorological hazards, environmental hazards and technological hazards). The course will guide you through the entire process of risk assessment, on the basis of a case study of a city exposed to multiple hazards, in a developing country (Risk City).
- Understand the concepts of hazard assessment, elements at risk mapping, vulnerability assessment, and risk assessment;
- Formulate the spatial data requirements for risk assessment;
- Generate an elements at risk data base using GIS;
- Formulate the requirements of hazard data and methods;
- Apply various methods for vulnerability assessment;
- Generate risk maps using qualitative and quantitative methods;
- Have insight in how a risk assessment could be carried out in your own situation.