Thorough understanding of the issues that underlie many of the day-to-day problems faced by practitioners in the field of emergency planning and management is very important in these times where emergencies of various kinds are so common. These risks are high and hence increased levels of preparedness and more effective responses to realized risks are thus necessary.
Time matters in a crisis besides thorough planning, clear communication and effective strategies save lives and limit disruption. This understanding, including how such issues may be addressed in practice, is necessary in order to increase the level of resilience of individual organizations, as well as the effectiveness of the integrated emergency management of disruptive challenges to the world economies/ societies. This course blends academic study with experiential learning of best practice to teach you about disaster preparedness and response and creates professionals who are ready for action
This course offers training in the fundamentals of the emergency planning process, including the rationale behind planning. It will develop your capability for effective participation in the all-hazard emergency operations planning process to save lives and protect property threatened by disaster. You will have the opportunity to interact with our experienced facilitators who bring professional and research expertise into their teaching;
Who should attend?
This course is designed for emergency management personnel who are involved in developing an effective emergency planning system. Employees in public, charitable and private organizations involved in emergency planning and management
Upon completion of the course, participants will:
- Gain knowledge required to pursue a career or work on emergency planning and management.
- Will examine theory and practice in a range of countries, benchmarking approaches in their respective countries of origin/work and generally build relevant experience in the industry.
- Develop their skills that are needed to manage the response to various emergencies (i.e. Civil, technological incidents, transport accidents and natural disasters among others)
- Develop an early warning system and risk management plan tailored to the needs of their organization;
- Examine the kinds of tools and products that are available or could be developed to integrate information into forms most useful for them to make decisions at various levels; and
- Set-up appropriate contingency plan or options to guide members of their organization against various hazards of different timescales.
Outline of topics to be covered in the program:
- Disaster theory and practice
- Definitions and concepts
- The four core early warning system components
- End-to-End Early Warning System (EWS)
- New Hazard Paradigm
- End-to-End EWS Framework and its Elements
- Risk assessment
- Hazard Identification Process
- Risk Analysis: Probabilities and Consequences
- Risk Management: Options Analysis2014
- Hazard Forecast Based Risk Estimation Analysis
- Development of Decision Support Tools
- Risk Communication
- Risk Communication Process and Tools
- Contingency Plans
- Organizational Preparedness and Response Preparation
- Emergency and Disaster planning;
- Integrated emergency management practice and issues;
- Business continuity management;
- The management of natural and environmental disasters;
- GIS & RS, science and services;
- Research design and methods;
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English. Applicants must live up to Indepth Research Services (IRES) admission criteria.
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with an Indepth Research Services (IRES) certificate.
The training is residential and will be held at IRES training Centre.The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Payment should be transferred to IRES account through bank on or before C.O.B 28th September 2015.
Send proof of payment to email@example.com.
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.