The Human Security: Humanitarian Perspectives and Responses Conference is a joint initiative between the International Humanitarian Studies Association (IHSA), the Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies (CPRS) at Coventry University and Kadir Has University in Istanbul, the host organisation.
The aim of Human Security: Humanitarian Perspectives and Responses is to explore recent human security risks, threats and crises that have been affecting different parts of the world and how humanitarian perspectives and approaches developed over the last few decades can be applied to such complex and challenging environments.
What are the emerging trends and difficulties in ensuring human security in such environments? Is the theory and practice of humanitarianism keeping up with the changing contexts of threats and risks? How could the human security debate benefit from humanitarian studies? This collaboration between IHSA and CPRS will provide a forum to explore how the subject of human security could be investigated through a humanitarian lens at the academic, policy and practice levels.
Participants are encouraged to propose and organise panels and roundtables on one of more of these themes.
To organise a panel, you will need to:
- Submit a 200 word proposal under one of the four themes below
- Solicit contributors and evaluate submissions under your panel once your proposal is approved
- Arrange the panel: find a chair, consider the need for special funding of participants and maintain communication with the conference team.
The themes are:
- Theme 1. Human Security Debate: Lessons from Humanitarianism
- Theme 2. Politics and Practices of Natural Disasters and Disaster Response
- Theme 3. Socio-economic Realities of Humanitarian Crises
- Theme 4. New Players in the Humanitarian Arena, with Special Attention to Turkey
For more information, please visit the website.